Feature Summary / Major Changes
- Kanban / Storyboard
- Performance Updates
- vTV - VersionOne Television
- Convert Between Stories / Defects
- Define Required Fields
- Split Defects
- Copy Tasks/Tests from Template
- Custom Fields on Stories & Defects
- Add & Import Epics
- API Changes
- System Requirements Changes
Product Download - upgrade your On-Site system
(Note: All existing customers upgrading from Release 8.x or prior will need to obtain a new license file from your sales contact prior to upgrading.)
Kanban / Storyboard
Lean Teams in your organization can leverage the new Storyboard feature to run a Kanban right within their VersionOne project. The Storyboard allows teams to configure status values specifically for the team to use, view and/or update status using the board, set WIP limits and conduct cycle time analysis. Kanban settings work on a project-by-project basis, so your organization can combine, for example, a mix of Scrum teams and Kanban teams in the same system. Teams practicing "Scrumban", or lean methods within an iterative setup, can also leverage the Storyboard to support their process. More traditional Agile teams will find the Storyboard provides higher level visibility within the context of their sprints, working in much the same way as the current Taskboard and Testboard.
Drag and drop ranking and updates on board views (Storyboard, Taskboard, Testboard) are now near-instantaneous, eliminating the need to wait for a page refresh after each drag. Other updates have been made to increase responsiveness, including:
- optimizations that speed up the Search as well as the Find function within the grids
- optimizing the left nav bar that appears throughout the application
- updating initial page loads to display the entire page at once and reduce initial roundtrips to the server while still allowing subsequent updates to refresh only a given component
- optimized timing on the polling for new notifications
vTV - VersionOne Television
New users can directly access how-to videos from the VersionOne Television (vTV) player. The new vTV video player includes a menu of available videos created by VersionOne experts to allow users to peruse the helpful content on planning, tracking, reporting, administration, helpful hints on general usage and more. These videos can help brand new users learn about the basics and can help existing users pick up finer points to maximize their efficiency. Access vTV from the new consolidated Getting Started page or from any section of the application using the vTV icon in the upper right corner of the page.
Systems running on an internal network without internet access can disable vTV.
Convert Between Stories / Defects
Items may come into the system defined the wrong way. Use the new Convert action to instantly switch a story (backlog item) to a defect or vice versa. This action is available in the row-level action menu in grids and on the details page. Any tasks and tests as well as additional items such as links, discussion notes and attachments are converted along with the item. The convert feature works by copying the contents of the "source" item into a new "destination" item and then deleting the "source" item, so any fields that exist on the source and not the destination will not be converted.
Note: If fields that are specific to a story or defect are made required, the Convert to Story/Defect action will not be able to function.
Define Required Fields
System Administrators can define fields as required for entry into the system using the Administration > Configuration > Display Fields page. The system will not allow new data to be entered without entries for all fields marked as required. The requirements are enforced both through the application UI as well as through the API, so integrations may be impacted as well.
While it is recommended that missing is is entered prior to marking a fields as required, the system will also help to clean up any existing data when a field is marked as required in the following ways.
- When updates are made to existing data through the Details/Edit popup pages, users will need to enter missing required data to make updates.
- Quick updates made through a grid will require entry of missing required field data if those fields are displayed on the grid.
For teams who work on large defects that contain multiple tasks and tests, a new Split option can be used at the end of a sprint/iteration if the defect work is partially complete. The Split Defect works just like it does on a story.
Copy Tasks/Tests from Template
Use the Story Planner (aka Backlog Item Planner) to copy a set of tasks and/or tests from a template to the story you are currently planning. This option is listed as an option along with Add Task and Add Test. Select from any template in the current project or any other project to which you have access. Select either an entire template or a select any subset of tasks/tests across templates, then use the multi-select copy option on the grid to copy the selected items to the story you are planning.
Custom Fields on Stories & Defects
Create a single custom field that spans both stories and defects. On the Custom Fields page, Administrators will now see an option for Story and Defect (or Backlog Item and Defect) that will create and display the field on both items. This allows custom fields to be used as other common fields across these items for sorting and filtering (list types only) within grids.
Add & Import Epics
Add Epics directly through the application UI and/or through the Excel Import function. Epics can be directly added through the Left Nav bar's Add function and also from the Product Planning > Epics page grid. Use the Excel Import to load a hierarchical set of epics and stories in a single import by referencing the parent item in the 'Super' column.
- Removed unused attributes: MyLastChangeDate, MyLastChangeDateUTC, MyLastChangeComment, MyLastChangeReason.
- Added: Audit trail records are now created for changes to custom fields as well as drag and drop ranking.
- Added: QuickTest Pro Integration was updated to support QTP 10.0.
System Requirements Changes
- History tracking has been updated to capture additional data.
- Changes to custom fields will cause an audit record in an item's history
- Drag and Drop ranking changes will cause an audit record in the item's history
- Recent Changes list will now include items with changes to custom fields and to rankings
- Upgrading to this release will update audit history to include historical changes to custom fields
- User passwords can be updated directly from the My Home > Preferences page, givein new users a simple method to update any default password they have been given.
- Excel exports were changed to include all contents of rich text fields (e.g. the Description) in a single cell.
- Maximum number of rows per page displayed within a grid has been capped at 200.
- Status update field has been removed from the Taskboard Assign popup.
- Simple XML import has been removed - functionality is covered by Excel Import and the Platform API.