Table of Contents
Agile teams use the storyboard to track the status of an entire backlog item from the time it is pulled into the sprint until it is accepted by the Product Owner. The storyboard keeps progress highly visible and helps the team identify which backlog items have been pulled into the sprint and where they are in the product development lifecycle. Kanban teams use the story board to track the status of a backlog item and set work-in-process limits to help the team identify, manage, and elevate constraints. Rather than track velocity, Kanban teams rely on cycle time to understand the rate of flow through the development organization.
Kanban teams in your organization can leverage the Storyboard feature to run a Kanban right within their VersionOne project. The Storyboard allows teams to configure status values specifically for the Kanban team to use. Teams can view and update status using the board, set work-in-process limits, and conduct cycle time analysis. Kanban settings work on a project-by-project basis so your organization can combine a mix of Scrum teams and Kanban teams in the same system. Teams practicing lean methods within an iterative framework, for example “Scrumban”, can also leverage the Storyboard to support their process.
Create a StoryBoard
It is simple to setup VersionOne to follow a Kanban style development process:
- Setup a new sprint schedule by navigating to the Admin section of the main menu, selecting the Projects tab, and then selecting Sprint Schedules.
- Choose Add a Sprint Schedule and give the schedule the name Kanban. Set the sprint length to be the duration of the project or the release, in effect creating an iteration-less planning tool.
- If separate status values are needed for the Kanban board, use Project Workspaces to create a status list specific to this project.
- Navigate to the List Types Tab under Admin and select Backlog. Add new status values to the Status List type as appropriate.
- Navigate to the Display Fields Tab to enable the new list values for display in your project workspace. Select your project and find the Status field under Backlog Item. Enable the desired status values for your Project Workspace.
- Navigate to the Storyboard, select the wrench icon to customize the Storyboard and set work in process limits for each status.
- Move the current set of backlog items onto the Kanban Board using multi-select or via drag and drop on the Sprint Scheduling page.
- Execute your Kanban using the Storyboard by moving backlog items and paying attention not to exceed work in process limits for the various status values.
- Review cycle time periodically using the Workitem Cycle Time report right on the Storyboard page itself.
Next-> My Home