Strategic Theme Reports & Visualization
Delivery at a Glance
View by Portfolio Item
Fix Rogue Commits
Sprint Scheduling Updates
CommitStream Support for Subversion and Perforce
Other Reporting Updates
|Delivery at a Glance||(Required)|
|Strategic Theme Scorecard|
|Strategic Theme Visualization|
|Date Based Value Stream Board|
|System Requirements Changes|
How to Upgrade
|If your system is not in the auto-upgrade program, contact support to be added to the program or to schedule your upgrade.||Oct. 22||Oct. 22||Oct. 29||Oct. 29||N/A|
|Contact support if you need a 2016 annual license for your on-site system.||Contact Us||Contact Us||Contact Us|
If you are not a current customer, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
The Backlog Goal asset has been enhanced to support PI Objectives as defined by the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). From within the Program Increment Scheduling page view (or 'Release Scheduling', if not using SAFe terminology), define Objectives at the Team and PI levels to represent the business goals the group plans to achieve. Optionally note the ties to the specific portfolio items that support an objective and identify which are stretch objectives as well. Assign planned business value to each Objective at the beginning of the PI and actual business value achieved at the end.
When the SAFe checkbox is turned on in the startup wizard of a newly installed system, the Backlog Goal asset terminology will be set to be 'Objective'. By default, this asset is referred to as 'Backlog Goal'. Administrators of an existing system can update the terminology using the Admin > Configure > Terminology page.
Program Predictability Report
The new Program Predictability Report available directly from the PI (Release) Scheduling page or the Reports section shows the ratio of planned to delivered business value over time by team and PI to help the organization assess its focus and performance from a business perspective.
Customers who have been using Backlog Goals will notice a few changes upon upgrade to better enable Backlog Goals to be used for planning:
- Backlog Goals can be related to Portfolio Items instead of Backlog Groups.
- The Backlog Goal Assignment page in the Product Planning menu has been removed.
- A new setting exists in the Admin > Configuration > System page to 'Relate to Backlog Groups instead of Portfolio Items'. Selecting this option will revert the above two changes for customers who are currently using the Backlog Goal / Backlog Group relationship and wish to retain it. This option will prevent the assignment of Backlog Goals to Portfolio Items.
The Sprint Scheduling page has been updated to make agile sprint planning easier. Using the new view, You can easily organize and assign prioritized product backlog items to a specific sprint and team using the drag and drop planning environment. The sprints are now on the left and easier to see. Selecting a sprint shows a full Sprint Backlog on the right.
You can also visually determine when a team has reached its capacity using a team’s historical velocity along with the targeted and planned story points for each sprint. All these metrics are clearly visible on the Sprint Backlog.
Finally, this new view allows for seamless assignment of items to the teams at the same time as they are assigned to the sprints.
Delivery At A Glance
Delivery at a Glance now offers a "View by Portfolio Item" toggle which allows you to view the distribution of workitems across your delivery workflow by Portfolio Item. This mode also offers the number of workitems that have are "done vs. delivered", allowing you to identify work that has been completed but not yet shipped. Finally, this mode will also show the distribution of work across your value stream by "count" or by "percentage".
Fix Rogue Commits
When viewing rogue commits in Delivery at a Glance, you now have the option to fix rogue commits by associating them to existing Lifecycle workitems. Once associated, Lifecycle will send the updated relationship to Continuum where it will also be fixed.
Strategic Theme Scorecard
The Strategic Theme Scorecard is a central location for key metrics related to a specific Strategic Theme and is accessed from the Strategic Theme Details page. As with all Scorecards, the Strategic Theme Scorecard is URL addressable and responsive, enabling you to view it on a monitor in your office or on a mobile device while you travel. The Scorecard page is broken down into 3 parts. At the top there are summary metrics that give you the big picture of the remaining work. The middle section contains charts that trend this work over time. The bottom third of the page is the break-down section. In this section you can see the work for the Strategic Theme broken down by Project, by Portfolio Item and by Team.
Strategic Theme Visualization
Interested in seeing how a Strategic Theme breaks down through your Portfolio Item Hierarchy into Backlog Items? Check out the new Strategic Theme Sunburst Visualization. Using this chart you can see which Epics are directly assigned to the Strategic Theme and how those Epics break down into Capabilities, Features, and ultimately Stories and Defects. The size of each slice in the visualization is based Total Estimate or Backlog Item count depending on your reporting preferences. Color is used to indicate the Portfolio Item or Backlog Item type. A hover provides additional details and you can click to drill into a specific slice.
Date Based Value Stream Board
Ideally your entire organization operates on the same cadence, or schedule, but that is not always the case. In a world of multiple schedules, how do you manage delivery across organizational boundaries or Release Trains? To help customers facing this challenge, we have enhanced the existing Value Stream board to support date based columns. When configured for Date-Based columns, you specify a Start Date and the period represented by each column on the board. Portfolio Items and significant supplier Backlog Items (aka upstream dependencies) are placed in those columns based on End Date for Iterations where Backlog Items are planned.
Save, share and reuse Roadmap View definitions so you can ensure everyone is looking at the same structure. Roadmap Views store filters, grouping, coloring and board view column settings under a named view to help make their use consistent across the team and organization. Create one or multiple roadmap views as needed within your system. Apply your saved view prior to publishing to ensure your published roadmaps show a standard set of information.
The built in "Class of Service" column on Dim.PrimaryWorkitem does not follow the Data Mart column naming conventions. The old (incorrect) name was PrimaryWorkitemClassOfService. The new name is PrimaryWorkitemClassOfServiceName.
- A Strategic Theme Allocation panel to the Portfolio and Program Dashboards. This pie chart indicates which Strategic Themes, of a given type, are being addressed by a given set of Backlog Items. The panel allows you to specific the Strategic Theme level, how you want the data aggregated, and which Backlog Items to consider. Clicking on the chart opens a full page view that includes a table indicating which Backlog Items were considered. This table can be filtered by selecting a slice on the chart. Finally, the full page view allows exporting the data to Excel and PDF.
- A Portfolio Item Delivered by Project panel to the Portfolio and Program Dashboards. This pie chart uses the Project assignment of immediate child Portfolio Items to determine where Features and Capabilities will be delivered. This panel allows you to choose which Portfolio Items are being considered using Status, Priority, Type, and Strategic Theme. You can also choose to aggregate results based on Portfolio Item Count, Backlog Item Count, Total Estimate, Swag or Value. Clicking on the chart opens a full page view that includes a table indicating which Portfolio Items were considered. This table can be filtered by selecting a slice on the chart. Finally, the full page view allows exporting the data to Excel and PDF.
- A Work Item Cycle Time Details panel to the Team Dashboard. This scatter plot indicates how long every Backlog Item took to complete the specified cycle. The only difference between this panel and the existing Work Item Cycle Time panel is the lack of grouping. This panel does not group results.
- A Work Item Cycle Time Histogram panel to the Team Dashboard. Using the Work Item Cycle Time data, and a user supplied grouping value (also known as bin size) based on the number of days in the cycle, this panel counts the number of Work Items that belong in each group.
- The Work Item Cycle Time panel was renamed to Work Item Cycle Time - Summary to distinguish it from the new Work Item Cycle Time Details Panel
- Work Item Cycle Time can now be grouped by Class Of Service.
Note: Because of the Data Mart change to properly name the Class of Service column, you will need to Edit any existing Custom Report that used the old column name and choose the correct column name.
- The Bugzilla integration has been updated to support Bugzilla 5.
- The integration now uses the Bugzilla REST API instead of XML-RPC.
- This update supports Bugzilla 5 and up, earlier versions will need to use the existing integration.
- Access Token support has been added.
- CommitStream now supports Subversion. Harness the power of CommitStream to visualize activity in your Subversion repositories.
- CommitStream now supports Perforce GitSwarm and Perforce P4V. This powerful integration now allows you to integrate these top of the line version control systems into your toolchain.
OAuth Sunset Update
- OAuth has been removed from the Lifecycle UI for all users. The winter release will remove OAuth from the API.
Package Metrics: a new metrics section has been added to Continuum packages; you are now able to view data on the following:
Delivery Summary: total deliveries, avg value ratio, avg workitems, avg commits
Value Goals: configure custom goals for packages and view the performance of recent version against the set goals
Average Duration: see the average amount of time a workitem spends on a particular phase
% in Phase: see the average amount of time all workitems spend on each one of your configured phases
Cycle Time: see the average amount of time it takes for a workitem to make it through your delivery workflow end-to-end
For additional release details, refer to the Continuum Release Notes page.
System Requirements Changes
- Member API
- Query Members and their Project Roles by Project search criteria
- Query for Project Roles by Member search criteria
- http://www.yourinstance.com/api/ProjectRoles/ for more information.
- Activity Stream
- Performance improvements
- A Global Conversation Visibility toggle has been added to system configuration. If the checkbox is unchecked then users will not have access to the ALL tab in the collaboration tab nor the ability to follow.
- Enhanced filtering by Team, In-Scope and Out-of-Scope Dependencies
- User level visualization options are saved on Dependency Report
- Dependency Quicklist Report
- Program Board
- Added a Team Progress Bar for Team Capacity Planning
For a complete listing of point releases, see Point Release Notes by Product.