Generating a Mapping
Once your systems have been created you will need to generate mappings for the assets you plan to sync. For bi-directional synchronization you will end up with two mappings per asset. For example, a mapping would be required for a Jira story to a Lifecycle story. Another mapping would be required for a Lifecycle story to Jira story. If you have not created your systems it will not be possible to generate a mapping.
Steps to Generate a Mapping
- Log in to ALM Connect
- Click on OIM Configuration
- Click on Field Mapping
- Click on Generate Mapping
- Provide a Mapping Name
- A best practice for a naming convent would be system - asset to system - asset. For example "Jira - Story to Lifecycle - Story".
- Choose the source system and the destination system. Once you choose a system ALM Connect will poll that system for it's capabilities based on the user provided during system setup.
- For the source system a project may be required, if so simply choose the project that is desired.
- Choose the asset you'd like to use for this mapping, both the source and destination.
- Keep in mind it is not required to match asset to asset. For example an issue in Jira could be used to create a defect in Lifecycle.
- Select Create from Scratch or Create from Template, for more on templates click here. (These instructions assume create from scratch)
- From here it is a best practice to look at the destination's fields. This is recommended because there is an asterisk beside the required fields on that system. This will prevent errors while creating or updating an asset. Choose your field for each and click Map.
- Note that for Lifecycle as a destination project does not show required but it is a required field.
- Note that some fields will required further mapping such as status, priority, etc. This will be denoted by a pencil for that field under the value mapping column.
- If bi-directional sync'ing is the end goal then the resolution strategy would be source wins for each direction.
- Once the desired fields are selected and configured there are checkboxes below for sync'ing comments. For example if you wanted to sync Jira comments to Lifecycle conversations.
- Select the attachment checkbox if attachment sync'ing is required.
- Select Issue relationship if a hierarchy is involved such as a story under an epic. This will provide a mapping option, below is an example for a story in Jira to an epic.
- Once all the fields are added and the options are selected click Generate Mapping.
Example of Finished Mapping